What Different Kinds Of Pies Do You Make?
Around where I live there’s been a bumper crop of Fuyu Persimmons (the small hard kind) and we have been given a passel of this brightly colored fruit. We’ve passed some on and yesterday I made two Pies with. It was Easy as Pie! I make it just like an apple pie and
Here’s the Fuyu Persimmon Pie Filling recipe I used. I chose this recipe because it uses Meyer lemons which we also have a passel of.
I must confess I use frozen pie crusts. Who among us can make good pie crust? Please advise.
adapted from Star Dough Persimmon Pie
3 pounds persimmon, peeled, cored, and sliced into thin wedges
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
pinch of salt
Juice from 1/2 Meyer lemon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1. Mix persimmon slices with pumpkin pie spice, salt, and Meyer lemon juice.
2. Add fruit to pie shell.
3. In a bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup melted butter. and 2 eggs until smooth.
4. Pour mixture over persimmon in pie shell. Cover with top crust.
5. Brush top crust with one beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a few slits in the pie to allow steam to escape while baking.
6. Bake the pie at 375° for 45 minutes, until the crust is golden (if the edges brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil).
7. Let cool 1 hour, then serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Let me know about your Pie Making experiences.
always something Nurturing on Thursday inspired by Becca Givens